The Head of External Relations is responsible for developing the New Lines Institute for Strategy and Policy’s external relations via strategic planning, including outreach and information gathering, and overseeing the execution of that planning. They will primarily focus on developing the Institute’s external relations strategy-making, execution, and assessments for government and non-governmental high-value engagements. They will report to the Director of Strategy and Innovation and will supervise the External Relations Coordinator and other relevant team members.
Location and Salary
This is a full-time, salaried position and will require the successful candidate to be present in the Washington, D.C. area. A hybrid schedule, working part-time in the New Lines Institute office in Washington, D.C., and working part-time remotely outside that office, is possible but dependent on corporate policy. The salary for the Head of External Relations position is commensurate with the experience of the candidate. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Develop and execute external relations strategies for the Institute.
- Organize meetings, briefings, and distribute the Institute’s work to government policymakers.
- Manage relations with non-governmental high-value engagements.
- Support the development and refinement of the Institute’s communications strategy, including social media strategy, in cooperation with the Institute’s Operations Unit, Analytical Development Unit, and Training and Analytical Products Program.
- Develop, apply, and refine metrics for assessing the impact of the Institute’s external relations strategy.
- Work with the Institute President to ensure alignment between Institute communications and Institute principles and values.
- Facilitate meetings between the President of the Institute and current and former senior U.S. and U.S. ally and partner foreign and national security policymakers.
- Advise, assist, and facilitate government relations outreach and engagement for Institute staff.
- Supervise team members.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; Graduate degree in international relations or related field is a plus.
- At least five (5) years working in the field of international relations, national security, and/or government relations.
- At least three (3) years of management or supervisory experience in the field of international relations, national security, and/or government relations.
- Substantive experience developing and executing U.S. government and/or communications and external relations strategy.
- Substantive experience working in a U.S. foreign policymaking role or advising or informing U.S. foreign policy.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter
Please send application materials and any related inquiries to [email protected]